Thursday, January 13, 2011

It's such a beautiful day in So Cal today! Makes me want to do things outside.  Finally a nice break from the cold weather. I'm rather embarrassed to even bring up "cold" because compared to every other state, we are pretty warm.  But my blood is thin and numbers in the 60's means it's time to break out the scarfs, long wool coats, gloves and high boots.  And of course there is my personal rule:  40 degrees.  Do not leave the house if it's 40 degrees or lower.  No point, it's just too cold.  Sorry to all my friends and family living in those places with snow and 40 degrees or lower!
I hope everyone is staying healthy. I'm sure trying.  Especially as I see people dropping all around me.  I hold my breath a lot, so I don't have to breathe in their germs and possibly catch what they have.  My youngest son is one of the ones.  He came home yesterday very sick.  He lives on campus in the fraternity house. His resistance has got to be low anyway because in those houses, not much sleep happens and way too much drinking of your daily calories goes on.  I did all I could to help him last night but today we are off to see the doc.
As far as my sewing and crafting goes, I do have a couple new things to add to my store.  A knitted scarf and adult jammie bottoms (to match the toddler/child bottoms) in a cozy, warm bright fleece print. I have to take a very short break at my machine because of a small setback, but that just means I'll be doing more hand sewing/knitting type of things and learning more blog & website tips and tricks.  Speaking of tips....  I wanted to have a tip of the day or week or post - something like that - and I thought of one the other day.  It's about seam binding/bias tape.  Seam binding is a great invention!  You can do so many things with it.  One thing is to cover up a not-so-perfect seam! Or the obvious: finishing the edge of your project, like a baby bib or apron or placemats...Also, if you run a few stitches through it, it can be used as a loop on an item or an extension to a zipper pull.  But what if you can't find the perfect match for your project?  Have you ever thought of making your own?  You do need extra fabric for this because it's cut on the bias for best results. I had to do that with the red and white star diaper cover I made.  I did not have a red bias tape to match the red of the diaper cover or even the off white of the star, so I made my own.  I love how it turned out.  I'll post a pic to show you.
Made my own...and  no, I won't run over the pins!

Until next time,

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your pics! I need to make some diaper covers for Adelaide for the summer! Bias tape is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy!
    Do you have a pattern? They are so easy to make! You can make them as simple or complex as you like.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...